Live coverage of the State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II and the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee were the most watched Factual titles this year, with documentaries marking the Queen’s 70 years on the throne – Elizabeth: the Unseen Queen and The Queen: 70 Glorious Years - also in the top 10.
Other BBC Factual titles in the top 10 include the launch of major new natural history landmarks, Frozen Planet II and The Green Planet alongside popular long-running series, Antiques Roadshow.
The top-ten factual titles this year were:
1. The State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II (BBC 1) - 13,206,000
2. The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee (BBC 1) - 13,196,000
3. The Great British Bake Off (Channel 4) - 9,269,000
4. Frozen Planet II (BBC 1) - 6,930,000
5. Antiques Roadshow (BBC 1) - 6,916,000
6. The Green Planet (BBC 1) - 6,324,000
7. Elizabeth: The Unseen Queen (BBC 1) - 6,207,000
8. Gogglebox (Channel 4) 5,432,000
9. Bradley & Barney Walsh: Breaking Dad (ITV) - 5,398,000
10. The Queen: 70 Glorious Years (BBC 1) - 5,348,000
Kate Phillips, BBC Director of Unscripted, says: “I’m delighted that in the BBC’s centenary year we’ve been able to unite the nation at moments of historic significance, with millions tuning in for our coverage of the State Funeral of HM Queen Elizabeth II and The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.
"In addition, major new launches such as The Green Planet and Frozen Planet II demonstrate how we have continued to innovate and elevate subject matter. I’m proud that in a time of so much competition, BBC Factual is punching through with a breadth and scale of content unrivalled on any other broadcaster.”